Thursday, November 13, 2008


For Zac, My Younger Son and Youngest Child

My memory of you when a boy I did teach,
of a human being I pray I helped you become.
Let your life reflect the divine spark in each
when the banality of others does us benumb.

Teary-eyed sighs on cloudy days recall,
a boy whose freckled face crestfallen became ...
for plucking orange lilies off sun craning stems,
whose countenance shone neither remorse nor shame.

A lesson he'll recall from that day hence …
may many more days be his to see.
Respect life all, from great to small,
guard this lesson's value pristine,
Tend your garden a school it becomes
when tomorrow's children will have lillies seen.

Alan D. Busch
7/3/09

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello..Alan..I couldnt find where I should write to you..so I thought any place will do...I am writing about your story of HAROLD GROSSMAN..My husband may he rest in peace...same name ..had an uncle named morris..he lived in Lincoln,Ne. and was as sweet as your stepfather..I read your piece to my son..and he said Mom you have got to thank Mr. Bursh for his kind words...My harold died on Oct.28th2008 here in Miami, florida...he is b uried in Arlington..with (almost) full honors...One more thing we have in common..my mothers maiden name was BUSH...from Rochester New York..I grew up in Great Neck,l.i.new york and lived in
chicago for ten years...bless you for loving my harold toooooo.
Candace Grossman ...Candace@arofeld.com